Friday, November 25, 2005

Makkiah in the ER

Well our Thanksgiving didn't go completely as planned.

Wed afternoon Makkiah started sounding a little croupy. Started giving him his Atrovent and he took a nap. Woke up around 3:30 in the afternoon coughing hard and sounding bad. Continued giving him his Atrovent.

Spent the rest of Wed watching him but deciding that for the time being he was doing ok. Around 8 pm he fell asleep in the chair so I put him in my bed. Played around on here for WAY to long trying to give it a new look.

Around midnight I decided that I should probably go to bed. Makkiah was sound worse so I gave him moer Atrovent, which I repeat 3 times at 10 minute intervals. Rod and I debated as to taking him to the ER or not. He thought we could wait it out some more. I thought he was getting worse even with the medication. I also know that once he hits a certain point it's downhill fast from there.

We decided that we should take him in as he was sounding worse, his respirations had gone from 25 to 36 in less than 1 hour and I didn't want to be home with him when he nose dived.

Loaded him up in the car and off to the ER we headed at around 2am. Got to the ER at 2:30am and got checked in. They put us in a chair in the hallway waiting for a bed to clear out. Got taken to a bed at 2:55 and the doctor came in. Asked his history and such - I told her that once he starts making the "whistling" sound he goes downhill fast. He was making the sound. She walked out and he started having a hard time breathing. He was hunched over, puffing out of his mouth.

The quickly got an IV in to give him Decadron-which is the "gold standard" for him. The also gave him a nebulizer with racemic epinephrine. Once it took effect he was better.

At 6am the peds came down and looked at him. They then gave Dr. W a call and he said that if we were comfortable taking him home then we could as long as he was doing better. They gave us the clear at 7am to go home. When we came in his croup score was 6, then it went to 2, and down to 1. Anything or 3 is considered moderate croup and needs to be treated.

Came home and cooked Thanksgiving dinner. Only two people showed up. After dinner I crashed. I was so tired and couldn't keep my eyes open anymore. I've had a cold which doesn't help and then I had a fever. Took some Tylenol and off to sleep I went.

1 comment:

Amah said...

You are such a good mommy and daddy! I hate being so far away!!