Wednesday, January 11, 2006

I'm still here

I'm sure you all thought that I fell off the face of the earth. Nope didn't happen. I've just been busy - doing what I'm not sure but I'm sure that I have accomplished something in the last two weeks. If nothing more than cathcing up on laundry and making sure everyone has been fed!!

Yesterday Makkiah had a pulmonary appt. Just when we think things are looking up that kid throws us a curveball.

He's had croup episodes three times since Thanksgiving. These episodes have gone on for days at a time. Needless to say he is back on all his meds - Flovent, Atrovent, Nasonex, Singular (up to 5mg tabs), Zyrtec, and Prelone (5 days at a time and thank God this is his fifth day). He was also started on Prevacid for his reflux. Up unti lJune he was on Prilosec which was a total pain in the butt because it has to be compounded and refrigerated. Therefore it can't be mailed but has to be picked up from the pharmacy. That entails at least a 45 minute wait, sometimes almost two hour wait, for a medication that just needs to be taken out of the fridge and handed to me!! It was SO frustrating!!!!!!!

The prevacid we open up and dump the little, teeny, tiny balls onto yogurt, pudding, etc and then he has to swallow it. No chewing allowed.

The things about his steroids (prelone) is that it causes him SEVERE mood swings. Usually it makes him very aggressive. This time it seems to be making him cry at the drop of a hat. I swear he is worse than a girl going through PMS!!! But there is nothing that he can do about it and he needs it to breath SO we push on.

He'll be trialing the prevacid for a month and if we see no decrease in the croup symptoms then it's back for another bronch with the peds pulm and peds ENT. Everybody cross your fingers and pray that it works. The brocnhs don't bother me but if he doesn't have to get it done it's so much nicer for all of us but mainly for Makkiah.

Hope everyone is having fun and enjoying winter. Personally I'm ready for summer!

3 comments:

Jody said...

Hoping summer comes quickly for you! Winter is so tough on those with bronch issues. I hope Makkiah is feeling better soon. Yes, steroids are rough!

Thanks for de-lurking and linking to your blog! You have a beautiful family!

Notes from the Trenches said...

Thank for delurking and leaving a comment!

Diane said...

Glad to finally hear from you again! Kiah will get better soon, I just know it!!